Really enjoyed this short post from James. He nailed it with his 5 courses that don't exist but should. I wanted to add another three to the list:
I've written before about technical debt. I'd like to write some more about it, but this time about the way we try to keep it in line.
Sometimes I feel the urge to go back and negotiate more favorable terms for me or my team. (I'm talking about features in a software system, not money.)
Sometimes it's hard to know what to do to contribute to your company. Of course, besides coding all day long.
Does my team have the hardware they need to do their jobs? Is this hardware functioning in an optimal way? Is there anything that will make them more efficient?
I'm really picky with my team. It's not only about who gets in it, but about responsibilities in general.
Here is something I'm focusing on lately: determining what's good enough, and then doing something else; just enough to delight.
Sometimes I’m an old fashioned guy and spend too long doing the same things the same way. I like to fight this, albeit sometimes it makes me feel uncomfortable. I keep trying though.
This was for the same project I was working on when I wrote How to determine last Monday's date in BigQuery. This time I needed to determine the date of the last 5 business days.
We are developing an Android app. Of course, the natural thing to do is to add a splash screen. We did, but it sucked, so I googled how to do it well.
I think developers tend to think that having technical debt is always a bad thing. It might. But sometimes it isn’t. Having piles of debt is certainly bad, but I think having none could be equally problematic.
If you keep a session controlled by the server (with an expiration timeout) and a separate session logic on the client (also with an expiration timeout), keeping them both synchronized is too complicated and probably unnecessary.
Today I spent enough time coming up with a way to determine last Monday's date in BigQuery. Today is Monday, so the formula should return today's date if called. Yesterday it should have returned the 27th of last month.
Businesses like to be busy, of course. Everyone is happy around, money trickles in, new faces, better clients, and a bunch other positive stuff.
Keeping two or more copies of the same document synchronized with each other in real-time is a complex challenge. This paper describes the differential synchronization algorithm. Differential synchronization offers scalability, fault-tolerance, and responsive collaborative editing across an unreliable network.
I just finished reading an article by The Verge about how The mobile web sucks.
Utilization represents how much time you are actually working on stuff that makes money. When you aren't 100% "utilized", it means that some of your time is spent doing "non-billable" work.
If that's the case, you might want to check the "Learn Python GUI programming using Qt framework" course by Udemy.
Most of the time you can't think about what's hidden around the corner. It doesn't matter how much time you spend thinking about doing something, you won't be able to properly measure the effort until the job is done.
I've always wanted to write while drunk, sitting on a plane, waiting for a storm to go away before taking off.
I thought I wasn't going to be able to post a challenge this week, because I'm traveling out of the country (with no Internet connection most likely.) However, last week I implemented the possibility to publish future posts in the blog, and this is how this one was created.
Adam Harris asks regarding my previous post about moving the RSS feed generation to a static process:
Things are always easier with few users hitting your code (remember, I wrote the blog engine displaying the text you are reading right now.) One of my goals have always been to not pay for Google App Engine, and host this site as cheapest as I can.
I'm sorry I missed last weekend's programming challenge. I was on vacation and away from a computer (which was great!) I'll also be absent next weekend since I'll be traveling to Cuba, so I apologize in advance.
On May 26th Google completely removed OAuth1 support (they deprecated it back in 2012, but everything still worked until last week.) At my company, we have a couple of applications that relied on OAuth1 to access Google Spreadsheets.